Monday 6 February 2017

NO LONGER AT EASE - CHINUA ACHEBE



Hi guys!
So, I finally found this book!!! I've been looking for it for a while now and I almost danced when I spotted it - I think I did actually.
No Longer at Ease is the second book in the popular African trilogy by Chinua Achebe (It is preceded by "Things fall apart" and followed by "Arrow of God")


It is centred around  the life of Obi Okonkwo,  a young man who secures a "scholarship" to study in the United Kingdom, his return to Nigeria and his struggles with kinsmen, family, life and love.

Even though this story is set in colonial times, a lot of it is still relevant in present time touching on corruption, love, obligation to family and the desire for a "better" life.
I don't want to give too much away but, I was intrigued and saddened by the Osu angle in the story. Where I am from we don't really have "outcasts" at least according to what I have been told but I know some Eastern states used to have Osu's. I wonder if they still do and if they are still marginalized.

This was a very quick, enjoyable read. I recommend!

Purchase: Ebeano Supermarket Lekki 1.
Price: N650.



I am trying to read more this year - will probably be reading "Arrow of God" next to finish the trilogy.

Have you read this book or any other in this trilogy?
What are you currently reading?

xo,
Genevieve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment; You are appreciated x